Recommended age 13 -18
Quite often students interest in ballet will not happen until the teen years. This is not uncommon in many dance studios. Students begin learning the concepts of alignment and rotation as well as simple exercises to reinforce these concepts. French vocabulary and English translations are used in class and the children are expected to memorize the dance vocabulary as well as the theories of movement related to feet and arms, body positions, movements in dance, and to be able to identify the numbering system for the walls and corners of a dance space.
There is a heavy focus on posture, alignment and placement of the feet to insure proper development for the upper grades and the prepare for pointe work. It is technically demanding for the beginner student and not at all an easy level to master. It takes a lot of work and perseverance but in the end it can produces a well-balanced, centered, strong, and graceful beginning dancer!
The syllabus consists of simple movement patterns utilizing, but not limited to, the following movements and steps:
1. Positions of the Feet . 1st, 2nd, 3rd , 4th and 5th . Open positions (2nd and 4th ), Closed positions (1st, 3rd & 5th )
2. Theory of the Movement of the feet. When moving from a closed position to an open position, slide to a poit and lower the heel. When moving from an open position to a closed position, point and slide lowering the heel.
3. Positions of the arms. 1st, 2nd, half 2nd, 5th low, 5th in front & 5th high.
4. Theory of the Movement of the arms. When moving from a low position to a high position, the arms usually pass through 5th in front. When moving from a high position to a low position, the arms usually pass through 2nd and half 2nd
5. The fixed Point of the room. Select the audience which is 5. Beginning with the right front corner, count the corners counter-clockwise; 1,2.3.4. Count the walls in the same manner 5,6,7,8.
6. Positions of the Body - Quatrieme devant (4th front), Seconde (2nd) Quatrieme derriere (4th back)
7. Movements in Dancing - Plie (to bend), Sauter (to jump), Relever (to rise)
8. Pointe Tendue a Terre, Stretched point on the ground. Pointe Tendue en l'air, Stretched point in the air, hip high - Pointe Tendue demi en l'air - Stretched point half in the air, halfway between a terre and en l'air.
9. Positions of the Body - Quatrieme Devant (4th in front), Seconde (2nd ) Quatrieme Derriere (4th in back)
- Tendu à la seconde, demi plié, grand plié
- Battement tendu en croix et a la seconde
- Preparation pour pose et jete
- Rond de jambe a terre en dehors et an dedans
- Battement frappe
- Grand battement
- Echappe releve
- Releve en cinquieme
- Temps leve
- Port de bras
- Positions du corps
- Retiré passé,
- Première arabesque
- Troisieme arabesque